Friday, January 3, 2014

Mister Seahorse Window Hanger Kids Craft Inspired by Eric Carle Book


Little J received a lot of new children's books for Christmas. One of his favorite books that Santa brought to him is Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle. It is a beautifully illustrated board book, perfect for little hands.



We were inspired by the colorful illustrations to create a fun window hanger craft out of some play clay that I had recently whipped up. (For the play clay recipe please click here)



For this craft, we took our play clay and used the rolling pin to flatten it into a thin, flat sheet.



Then, we made the shape of our seahorse. For older kids they would be able to better make a seahorse shape, but I helped Little J to make his :)



Then, once the shape was cut out, I used a drinking straw to cut out a hole in the top of the seahorse where it would hang from once dry. Then, we placed the clay seahorse onto a greased baking sheet and into the oven to bake. (The baking instructions are listed on the play clay recipe page)

Once the seahorses were dry, out of the oven, and cooled, it was time to decorate! We wanted them to look like the gorgeous illustrations in the Mister Seahorse book. Using glue and colored sand we were able to achieve a similar look. 




I had Little J squirt glue onto the seahorse and then we dipped it into the mixture of beautiful sand colors. Then, we added some pretty rhinestones and googly eyes, and once they were dry, a string for hanging! 



I think they came out really adorable! :)



If you are new to my blog, please follow me on the social media of your preference to stay connected for the latest blog posts and updates! :) 

 photo Facebook_zps9dde6399.png  photo Twitter_zps4b48603e.png  photo Bloglovin_zpsf7e2fc13.png  photo Google_zps88159acb.png  photo Pinterest_zps4bffe280.png
  post signature

4 comments:

  1. This idea is so cute! My son got this book for his birthday and it is really sweet. I would love to share it on my Facebook page. Anything Eric Carle I LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney, yay I'm glad you like it! Yes please feel free to share :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh Melissa I adore these colorful creatures! They are now one of our favorites. My youngest doesn't quite enjoy books, or numbers, or much about learning LOL, she's a "free spirit" let's say..LOL.. Anyway, we will mimic these clay colored sea horses to go along with her favorite Sago Mini iPad App "Oceans" I believe is the name. When she taps the seahorse it does a little "toot" we'll call it & she LAUGHS This will be perfect! Thank you and happy to have found your space throughRedted art valentines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanine,
      Thanks for coming by from Red Ted Art, and leaving me such nice comments! I hope you enjoy making the seahorses!! :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, please leave some comment love! :)